03:58 PM CST

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Q. I just bought a new house. What deductions can I get?

A. There are two basic deductions available. Homestead for owning and living on the property and Mortgage for having a mortgage or contract on the property.

Q. I re-financed my mortgage. I was told that I had to re-file my Homestead deduction.

A. No, you must re-file your Mortgage deduction. If you have closed on the new mortgage on or before December 31st of any given year, you have until January 5th of the following year to re-file your deduction. Failure to re-file will result in the loss of the deduction. (The Homestead deduction does not need to be re-filed unless your primary place of residence changes.)

Q. Where do I file my deductions?

A. All deductions are filed at the Spencer County Auditor's office located on the 2nd floor of the Courthouse, 200 Main Street, Rockport.

Tax exempt forms (non-profit) are filed at the Spencer County Assessor's office which is located on the third floor of the Courthouse.

Offices are open in the Courthouse from 8:00 a.m. until 4:00 p.m. Offices do not close for the lunch hour.

Q. What is the deadline for filing deductions and exemptions?

A. The deadline for filing deductions is December 31st of one year to be effective the following tax year. The deadline for filing tax exempt forms (non-profit) is May 15th.

Q. What do I need to bring with me to file deductions?

A. For the Homestead and Mortgage deductions we have the necessary information available in the courthouse. It is helpful to know the name of the mortgage company where you initially financed your loan and the amount of the initial loan. The application must be signed by the applicant.

Q. When are taxes due?

A. The deadline for paying the spring installment is May 10th. The deadline for paying the fall installment is November 10th. For further information on taxes please contact the Treasurer's office.

Q. How do I add or remove someone from my property?

A. You will need to have a deed drawn up. You should contact an attorney, a title company, or an abstract company. You can also obtain do-it-yourself kits at most office supply stores. (The Auditor's office does not create deeds.)

Q. What are your transfer fees?

A. There is a $5.00 per parcel transfer fee on all transfer documents. Plus there is $10.00 Sales Disclosure fee for non-exempt documents. For exempt documents there is no Sales Disclosure fee, only the transfer fee.