04:52 AM CST

Addressing for Unincorporated Areas of Spencer County

Requirements for Obtaining a New Physical Address

A person or business who submits an application to build a new structure in Spencer County shall submit a plat or site plan as is normally required to obtain a building permit. Prior to issuance of a building permit, the Plan Commission staff shall issue an official permanent street/road address for the structure. You must be building a residence or business to obtain an address. We can not issue addresses to barns or other accessory buildings.

Placement and Size of Address Numbers

It is the property owner’s responsibility to have the new address properly displayed. If the property has a mailbox directly in front of the structure, your address number must be displayed with at least 3” numbers on both sides of the mailbox, using contrasting or reflective material. You must also display your address on your house or business, or on a sign at the entrance to your property using at least 3” numbers.

Where to Obtain Reflective Signs

Many Volunteer Fire Departments in the county make the reflective address sign as a fund raiser. You can contact any of the following departments for more information:

Carter Fire District (812)937-2600
Jackson Fire Department (812)937-4214
Rockport-Ohio Twp. Fire Department (812)649-4654
St. Meinrad Fire Department (812)357-6667