Small Claims


  • The fee is $97 for first defendant then $10 extra for each defendant after that. The $97 fee covers two mailings. After the initial mailing, or for each additional person, the person requesting service must provide the Clerk with:
    An envelope with sufficient postage affixed, addressed to the recipient with the Clerk's address as the return address
  • The USPS or other forms for certified mail. If return receipt is requested, the forms must be completed so that the Clerk gets the return receipt
  • The USPS or other fee for appropriate service by certified mail and return receipt, if requested
  • There will also be a $28 fee collected for sheriff services, on any Indiana serve and return. If you request post-judgment Sheriff Service of Process there will be an additional $28 fee. For any out of state the fee is determined by the county preforming the service and the check is to be made out to the particular County sheriff department which to be serving the Complaint.
  • The limit to file for an individual is $6,000. For a corporation the limit is $1,500.
  • If a corporation is filling in small claims and someone other than the president of the company will be speaking on behalf of the company, an affidavit must be on file for that person.
  • “Fill in the Blank” paperwork is available at the County Clerk’s Office.
  • The claim may be filed in this county if it is where the Defendant lives, or has his place of employment, where the transaction took place, or take where the defendant resides or has his place of employment.
  • Copies made here are $1 per page. All business checks are to include all filing fees plus sheriffs service should be made to County Clerk.
  • We need an original and three copies to serve by Sheriff and an original and one copy to serve by certified mail (per defendant). If you would like copy for yourself, make an additional copy. If you don’t have a copy of the contract it will not prevent you from filing a claim.
  • You must have a physical address to serve a defendant.
  • We at the County Clerk’s Office cannot answer any legal questions. We can assist you with the completion of the paperwork, but any legal questions will have to be directed to an attorney. If you do not have an attorney, we will refer you to the Bar Association at 812-426-1712.


Please read first: It is very important for you to know that when you sign a Court document, you may be helping or hurting your case. Before you sign any Court document or get involved with a Court case, it is important that you see a lawyer to make sure you are doing the right thing. Although there are risks in self-representation, should you choose to represent yourself you must be prepared. Although these forms have been prepared to help you represent yourself, you should know that certain Courts have their own procedures and may not accept every form.

You may represent yourself in court, but you will have to abide by the appropriate court rules, Indiana Rules of Evidence, Indiana Rules of Trial Procedure, and any local rules. For additional information, you may refer to the Indiana Self-Service Legal Center. For legal advice about your case, you should get in touch with a lawyer.