When to Apply for a Variance

Variances are to be used if you are needing to vary from any of the requirements of the Zoning Ordinance (incorrect road frontage, incorrect setback, etc.) because of circumstances beyond your control. You will have to show that the Variance you are asking for will not be contrary to the public interest and is a special condition where a literal enforcement of the provisions of the Zoning Ordinance will result in unnecessary hardship. Please call the Plan Commission Office at (812)649-6010 for more information and to make sure a Variance is your best option.

The filing fee for a Variance is $100.00 and you will be required to appear at a public hearing before the Board of Zoning Appeals.

Application for Variance